So it’s breakfast time and your dog is looking at you with his big puppy eyes. He is completely salivating and barks, just to let you know that he is there. “Here cutie, take it”, you say while giving him a piece of steak.
Giving your dog a little “human food” isn’t that bad at all if it’s the right food but it is very important for you to be careful. There are some foods that might be safe for humans but are not at all safe for the dogs. Some foods like chocolate, macadamia, nuts and avocado are tasty for human beings but are toxic for dogs.
Here are 10 food items that dogs should never eat:
- Grapes and Raisins
Nobody really knows that why are grapes and raisins poisonous for dogs. One of the serious complications can be kidney failure. If you see your dog having even a single raisin or grape, make him vomit as soon as possible.
It contain persin, which is okay for human beings to ingest but it is not the same with dogs, even a very small amount of it can make your dog sick, your dog might vomit or get diarrhoea. The seeds of the avocado can get stuck and can obstruct the dog’s stomach as well as the intestines.
- Onions, Garlic and chives
Many people don’t know that Onions, Garlic and Chives are poisonous to dogs. Even if it is cooked or ray, it can kill off all your dog’s red blood cells and can lead to anaemia. That means all you need to do is to keep your dog away from the garden because they might scarf down these veggies behind your back.
- Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts can make your dogs to puke, it can also make them weak and depressed. Researchers really don’t know that why the nuts are so bad for dogs but even a very small amount can cause poisoning. Some of the common symptoms are fevers, vomiting and diarrhoea.
Well, humans love chocolate, mostly a lot of them at least do, it works as a mood enhancer for them but the case is not the same with dogs. Dogs should not eat chocolate in any form. It contains toxic substances known as methylxanthines, especially theobromine. Even a little piece of chocolate can cause diarrhoea and vomiting. Whereas too much can cause seizures, irregular functioning of heart or even death.
- Raw eggs
Raw eggs are not always toxic, but they can cause food poisoning sometimes. Cooked, scrambled or hard boiled eggs can be a tasty treat for them.
Black walnuts don’t contain a toxic but a toxic mold can be formed on the nut, husk and on the bark of the tree. The mold is a neurotoxin and can cause seizures and tremors.
Caffeine in any form (Coffee, energy drinks, soda or tea) can easily kill your dog. Never give your dog ice cream or drinks which contain caffeine or coffee.
Alcohol has a same impact on dogs just as it has on humans. It can make a dog vomit and have diarrhoea. It can cause breathing problem, coma or even lead to death. You must avoid it.
It is an artificial sweetener mainly used in foods, candy, gums and peanut butter. In dogs xylitol gets absorbed into the bloodstream which forces the pancreas to release insulin. It can lead to rapid decrease in the level of blood sugar and can cause liver failure.